Saturday, February 28, 2009

nike said it best

During my adventures to and from the optometrist earlier this weekend I had the opportunity to do quite a bit of thinking. I have no clue how or why these moments strike me, but it's as though my life had frozen and I realized where exactly I was in the "big picture." A little over a year ago when I not only quieted my internal struggle by deciding to move to Hawaii, but I actually followed through and did it, I had no understanding of the ramifications of that decision. I had no way of knowing. And, when making that decision, I knew this. I knew the only way to find myself here was to just do it...without overthinking it.

So I did. And the circumstances that I found myself in a year ago are monumentally different from where I find myself now. Life amazes me sometimes in that way. Usually I'm distracted by day-to-day life, but when I'm left communicating this to my counterparts 8,000 miles away, I realize the enormity of what I've done.

I miss everything about home, but rarely realize how much until I'm left pondering the details. Yet I'm content here. There's the financial aspect of it all, which has been the bottom line throughout this experience. Sad, but money is what dictates our lives. Then there's the emotional/mental realizations I've gone through. I've got something good here. Not sure whether it's of the permanent variety, but for now my life is solid. And that has been something I've been striving for since I couldn't even tell you when. And for now, I'm okay with that.

No comments: