Friday, March 19, 2010

sláinte

Technically I'm a mixed breed, but I identify mostly with my British Isles ancestors, specifically the Irish. (The only other contributors, that I know of, to my genetic makeup being the French and Dutch.) Therefore, St. Patrick's day has always held a different level of significance for me than it does for most. With the decreased rate of an actual Irish population here in Hawaii, I suppose that's the case even more.

Forget green beer. Give me a Guinness.

I'm not aiming to be pretentious about it. On the contrary, I'm glad everyone enjoys celebrating. After all, I wasn't born in Ireland either. I just don't like it when culturally ignorant people use it as their weekly excuse to get obnoxiously drunk.

So when I saw this local fellow taking a breather on the curb during the block party, I had to give him his dues.



Obviously he put forth effort. That hat kicks ass.

Only in Hawaii.

No comments: