Friday, January 16, 2009

auntie em! auntie em!

I can't be sure, but I think the sun may be attempting to shine. This is quite unexpected. The city issued a weather warning days ago, hoping for Honolulu citizens to be able to brace themselves for the tropical storm (60+ mph) caliber high winds we were predicted to endure. Mind you, we're always subject to spontaneous high winds. I don't see why we're supposed to go into hiding now. The last 24 hours (this prediction was put into effect 6pm last night) have shown nothing out of the ordinary weather-wise. No large trucks or buses were blown off course, like they claimed was possible. (Hallelujah, considering I take the Bus to work.) No lawn furniture, street signs, or inanimate objects were turned into deadly projectiles, like they warned. (I prefer not to die a la Final Destination, thank you. Especially considering my graphic dreams of late.) Sure there's been some mild winds and intermittent rain, but nothing a hot cup of tea (cocoa, coffee...pick your poison...) and a good book can't solve.

Fifteen minutes later...

Lo and behold, clear blue skies and flawless rays of sunshine! If only sunset wasn't in half an hour.

I have yet to determine whether or not I approve of my ever-changing work schedule. On one hand, I do need to dispose of the physically taxing and financially disappointing doubles. However, the other shifts I've been assigned aren't exactly lucrative. It's hard to tell whether this is due to the drop in overall sales post-Christmas, or just my schedule itself.

That being said, I don't mind this whole having-Friday-nights-off deal. Friday nights have always been hit or miss anyways. Tonight I took the opportunity to finally make guacamole. Ole! I altered a few things from the norm, most notably the diced jalapeno. I'd give my recipe, but I regard it as somewhat secret. Let me just clarify that no cilantro was involved. Absolutely not.



And yes, that is a bottle of Menage a Trois red wine. (One of my favorites, and not just because of it's suggestive name.) No cooking activity is complete without a glass of red wine.

Now I've inspired a culinary fiesta, if you will. Marya is off to buy tomatoes to make some salsa. (Perhaps I should have told her to pick up the goods for margaritas, as that would go along with the theme? Oh well.) And then it's time to enjoy Mary Poppins. Don't ask.

No comments: