Thursday, January 8, 2009

omg i totally got like a mani pedi today

I am not exactly the high maintenance type. I was what would have been most definitely categorized as a tomboy throughout my formative years. The harshly cold Michigan winters wrecked havoc on my unprotected adolescent lips, yet they remained painfully chapped thanks to my aversion to chapstick. (Ironically enough, this unexpectedly turned into an almost resolute dependence on the stuff practically the moment I hit sixteen. To this day, I have at least one on hand at all times.) Nail polish was a laughable product to me for years. I had no nails to speak of, both because I had no interest in having any and I simply was forbidden due to playing the piano (because of my long nail beds, my teacher would insist that I cut them as short as possible to prevent them from clicking on the keys). Gradually I became girlier as I grew older and finally, by the time I reached twenty, I finally had the desire to grow my nails long.

I did manage to have my first manicure at age thirteen, although it was about as exciting as watching the home shopping network to me (my Dad bought all us women one for Easter one year). Not only that, but the little Vietnamese tramp hacked my cuticles to shreds. She had to wait until the bleeding stopped to proceed on to actual polish. At the time I assumed this was just part of the process. You know, "no pain, no gain." Now I realize she had no idea what she was doing. No wonder I resisted all that was girly for years after. I associated it with brutal torture.

That being said, I do enjoy the occasional pampering nowadays. Since that first uninspiring visit to the nail shop on the corner, I have had a handful more manicures, most notably for Prom and the weddings I have stood up in. My annual Nordstrom spa massage (best Christmas present idea EVER!) usually renders me incapable of speech for at least an hour after. I spend the next 364 days anticipating my next visit.

Considering my tomboy past, I have never experienced a pedicure. I believe my sister originally intended my gift certificates for either this or a facial, but the idea of a massage was always much more inviting. I think it's something about people being up close and personal with my feet. Now, I have good personal hygiene. I spend 90% of my non-working time in slippers (flip flops) so my toes have to be presentable, but I do spend my work days entirely on my feet...in smelly hot work shoes...for sometimes up to 13 hours a day. So there are days where the condition of my lovely extremities are not quite as glorious.

Recently I have had several sources assure me that whatever the condition of my feet, the pedicurist has probably seen much worse. I was officially convinced. And today I found myself receiving a mani/pedi for the first time.





Pedicures are amazing!!! I am instantaneously in love with anyone who massages me, especially my feet. I was pretty much drooling with hedonistic satisfaction. I was lulled into a stupor by the sound of the mini jacuzzi bubbling away, the gentle hum of the vibrating massage chair, and the flowing singsong of the salon employees Chinese banter as they went about their business. And although my color palette was limited due to Buca's "no nail polish" policy, I truly appreciate the clean, simple, classy look my choice resulted in.

No comments: