Tuesday, December 30, 2008

auf wiedersehen

So tomorrow I bid adieu to the Nazi douche bag working in security at the apartment. It's been a fun 11 months of exchanged dirty looks and reprimands. I've attempted to play nice. I've attempted to ignore the obvious tension. In other words, I'm trying to be the better person.

It all started soon after I moved to Hawaii. I originally was not listed as an official occupant. Because of the intense surveillance system that they use, security knew I was living here. They looked the other way for quite some time. I believe there was a written warning slipped between the slats in our front door at one point, but nothing really came of it until I got locked out. Oprah was staying out of town for a week, so I had no choice but to go to the front desk. Phone calls had to be made to be sure I was allowed back in. So naturally, at that point, everyone knew who I was.

Eventually I registered with the building office, so that I was officially an occupant and issued a key. There was a minor (drunken) incident involving a dismembered bicycle one night (which warranted another written warning), but other than that we have been charming and responsible inhabitants of the building.

Having all the security personnel recognize me turned out to be an advantage. I instantly get buzzed in the front door, saving me the hassle of digging for my keys each time. They are pleasant and I am pleasant in return. We make small talk. The younger ones flirt with me. Everyone has a good time.

Except Captain Douche Bag! He remains the only one that refuses to buzz me in. I know he knows who I am. It doesn't matter. I can be lugging around grocery bags, struggling to find my keys in my purse and somehow get them in to the keyhole, and yet he won't buzz me in.

Even those that drop me off at the apartment have noticed his sour personality. Both Davin and Michael have driven up to the roundabout and been scolded for being in the wrong lane. And this is later at night when not a car is in sight! Now Davin will intentionally get in the wrong lane just to piss the Nazi off.

No comments: